Thursday, February 19, 2009

Smithereens

The golden flames surround me and each attempt I make to escape the fire, I feel the heat closer to my face, my hands, my legs, my entire person….. the fire closes in on me and as it does, my breath becomes strenuous, and my heart begins to beat with such passion in order to escape the very present heat! My eye balls feel dry and thus, my eyes begin to burn and the dryness of my mouth causes my desperate tongue to leap out, hoping for the tiniest drop of life!! The flame snakes even closer to me and there is no specific place that I can hide because a better trap could not have been set. The flames, closer now, hairs begin to burn and I know this, not because of the sweltering heat that seems to suffocate my pores but because the smell of burnt hair in the midst of a fire is over powering. The flames now, uncomfortably close, begin to pierce through my skin as if it were tiny needles being inserted into every inch of my person at the same time. The fire penetrates my legs, my arms, my head and the heat has surrounded me to a point where I cannot properly define my self lest it be together with the callous flames. As the fire envelopes me, I feel the heat melting away at what seems to be just a film of flesh. Then, I feel the heat against my bones and as I begin to transform into ash, I could hear the fire so clearly now, cackling with laughter…..

I would have liked to close my eyes and imagine some one whose love was so much more powerful than the fire, walking right through to save me! I would have imagined this person’s heart burning more potently than the mere fire and as the person sees me being shredded by the monstrous flame, they’d step right into the very soul of the demon and rescue me from its embrace!!

But I have nothing in my possession that resembles rose tinted glasses and my own glass always appears half empty! Thus, I do not expect the self sacrificing love and I do not even pray for it because really, who deserves such love?? If such love were to exist from a being, I would have to negate the philosophy that I have always kept close to me; that all man is selfish and because of that there is nothing they can do that will be more disappointing than their mere humanity. So, after the fire, I will rest in my peaceful grave knowing that I have gone whence I came.

As a falling leaf from some tree, I shall depart from this earth and if, perchance one tear is shed, I say to you, if only for my mother’s I am grateful.

Ah well, Buena noche!!!

No comments: